Need Features: Folder Size, Search, Filter, Launch on Win + E

Feb 26, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Hi,

Thanks for such a wonderful utility. i definitely want to use this as a replacement to the traditional Windows Explorer or even to Total Commander/Directory Opus. But it lacks few very important functionality which leads me to wait from using this nice tool until these basic features are added.

1. Folder size : to the astonishment of windows 7 explorer missing folder size feature and even Folder size thirdparty plugin isn't working here. i desperately looking for this feature

2. Search: Windows explorer has got this very obvious feature which you must not leave without any reason

3. Filter : Filtering files by the keywords/names /extn the way Directory Opus has been providing.

4. Launching WDE whenever one presses Windows + E keys simultaneously.or Right Click on any folder/Start button and clicks on Explore.

5. Customize Toolbar: Add/remove functions from to existing toolbar.

6. Common Directory Tree for both the explorers.

thats it.

Appreciate if i get a feedback on these suggestions from your side. i will wait for the next release then.

Regards

Mayuresh

Apr 9, 2010 at 6:06 AM

Definitely needs the SEARCH feature!!

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I have no association to WDE, but I thought I'd reply just to show how everyone's priorities are not the same. For example for the six points listed:

1. Would be a bit handy if this was added to a status bar
  2. Couldn't care less about the build in search as it's so poor that I always use Copernic Desktop
  3. WDE embeds Explorer, so you should get Explorer's functionality, such as sort or group by type
  4. WDE isn't (yet) good enough to replace Explorer, so the last thing I want is for the standard shortcut to be used. Besides how many instances of WDE do you need running? Why not run one at start up and have multiple tabs.
  5. May be useful depending on what you wanted to use it for
  6. Not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting both windows in WDE would share one folder list rather than having one each? That wouldn't work well if one window was looking locally and another was looking at a folder on the network somewhere.

For me the two most important features that limit my use of WDE are:

1. The address bar does not automatically suggest a list of possible folders and files as you type. This is vital when you are navigating a deep folder structure and you kind of know where something is, but not quite.
  2. Better support for UNC paths

I'm sure people will completely disagree, but structured feedback can only assist when new features are being considered.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:01 AM

For me the most important feature would be the getting mouse forward and back navigation buttons to work. Then I think its perfect.

Apr 13, 2011 at 5:49 AM
swenkal wrote:

Definitely needs the SEARCH feature!!

This is important to me too, thank you!

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:54 AM

I finally gave up on WDE and am now using Q-Dir (http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/Q-Dir/Print).

I think the developers of WDE should check it out to see what others are doing.