WDE - Perfect solution to file organization

Mar 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Edited Mar 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I am not one to post much in the way of a response to software I have searched for and downloaded, either negative or positive, as most times the software in question does not work as illustrated, at least not for me.

I recently changed from a multiple desktop setup with several monitors, keyboards, and mice along with all the paraphernalia normally associated with such a setup (multiple printers, backup drives, etc, etc) to a large screen laptop. It would seem that no matter how large my desk was, the space quickly became cluttered with yet more electronics devices. I could barely find room for pen and paper.....

That said, the screen on my laptop is just over 17", large for a laptop, but nothing compared to the multiple large screen monitors I had with my desktop. I thought about setting up a docking situation in order to utilize my monitors but that made the change seem kind of pointless really. Getting to the point, I often re-organize my drives after clearing each one off and re-formatting. The file shuffling can get very intensive and requires multiple windows open for copy / pasting or cut and paste operations, especially when dealing with huge amounts of data. I had many backups and have been rather lazy about dealing with multiple copies of the same data over the years which also requires multiple windows open for file comparisons to weed out those no longer needed.

I started looking for an alternative to using multiple explorer windows where they tend to get "lost" after having more than two or three open. I tried a couple after researching but quickly removed each of these after finding them overly complex.

I found WDE today and, after reading about it, decided to give it a try. Wow! Finally a software that is simple and efficient. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and makes my file manipulation tasks a pleasure. This is a perfect example of "less is more". Having everything and the kitchen sink in a program usually renders it useless, particularly with utility type programs. Good job!

Sincerely,
Max H